Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Disappointment

There is a show out there called Princess Bride. It was made a long time ago and it is very funny, but I've been thinking about one dialogue that is in that movie this weekend and it goes something like this.

Masked Man and Spaniard are fighting in a swords fight and this conversation is going on during their fight.

Spaniard: "Who are you?"
Masked Man: "Noone to be triffled with."
Spaniard: "I must know."
Masked Man: "Get use to disappointment."
Spaniard: (shrugs shoulders) "Okay." goes on fighting.

I am most interested in the Spaniards reaction to being disappointed, he just shrugs it off and continues. I need to use this in my own life. I wish I could shrug off disappointment better in my life and just continue with what is at hand, because we all know that there will be disappointment in our lives. Case and point this weekend.

Some friends of ours invited our family to go with them to Park City and stay in a house that they have up there. It sounded like so much fun and we were really excited. The only vacation that our family has taken this year was a weekend up to Rexburge for the forth of July and so I was excited about any opprotunity to do something different. Seth was taking the older three children to the BYU football game and then meeting us in Park City after the game was over. We got all packed up on Saturday and I was waiting for Ella to get up from her nap. She gets up and I am thinking that she feels a little warm. I call my friend who says come up anyways. I of course didn't argue because I really wanted to go. I am about 15minutes from our house when I hear Ella whimpering in the back, I look back and she has thrown up all over herself and the car seat. Needless to say I bring her back home get her cleaned up and spend the rest of the day comforting a sick little girl. I didn't take this well. I was upset, mostly because these type of opprotunities don't come along very often for us and I knew that it would be a long time before we would have another "vacation" for our family.

Did I need to get so upset? No, I didn't, because the next day she woke up just as happy as can be and no fever and looking great. We ended up going to church and then just heading up to Park City right after and having a great time. I need to know that things will work out and if they don't you can still count your blessing because I know I have many. Trying not to think that the sky is falling is my main problem. I hope to work on that.

10 comments:

kara jayne said...

We must be related.

Love you!

The Jarvis Family said...

Okay, I was just going to say what Kara said - great minds....

Jennie Nichols said...

Thanks for reminding me...I need to work on that too! Glad you still got to go on your trip though! :)

Byron said...

Julie, it's Michelle! It has been so long since I have done the rounds of blog surfing but it was so fun to see your "new" blog! I loved reading about your darling family and LOVE your power cleaning day...I'll have to think about that... Love the real life feel of your posts. Hope it was ok to take a peek. Stop by our blog and say hi sometime.

Sherice said...

Julie- Nic and I had a similar experience over the 24th of July and I can totally relate! It is disappointing because you get SO excited to get out of town and enjoy some FUN family time, and next thing you know you are stuck in the same old surroundings!! What a bummer-but I am glad you guys still got to break away. You guys are such an awesome family!!

Max said...

I'm so with you Jules. I have such a hard time with disappointment! I wish I could get over it sometimes. Everything seems to work out. So glad you got to go after all, at least for a little bit.

Max said...

I guess I'm signed in as Max, but it's me, Shawni. Sorry.

erika said...

Julie! I'm so glad you have a blog! Your fam is adorable and I love seeing the pictures. I can totally relate to this post....
Check out my blog at erika-america.blogspot.com
(This is Erika Wallin Fellars by the way, and no, I don't hypenate my last name, I just wanted to be clear) :)

Kelli said...

What a great message Julie. I think we all struggle with that sometimes. Johnny always has to remind me of "Chicken Little" and remind me that the sky is not falling. I am glad I found your blog it is so cute!! Thanks again for dinner the other night, it was delicous!!

Brandee & Julie said...

Oh yea well your ugly! Does that make your day better?